Welcoming Rees Tenley Deziel

Introducing Rees Tenley Deziel 🎀💖
July 7th, 2018, 9:11am
7lbs 10oz


Wednesday July 4th night (her due date) I had been feeling uneasy for about 24 hours about her movement, she was only moving when I pushed at her and even then it was minimal, my amazing midwife got Joe and I to come to Vernon bags packed just in case for a Non Stress Test. During that she wasn’t having the heart accelerations they wanted and planned to induce me that night but the labor ward was filling up with girls in established labor so they pushed it for first thing the next morning after we had an ultrasound. Well I woke up puking at 3 am and spent the entire day ill as can be not able to keep even a sip of water down, dehydrated as ever for the entire day unable to be induced. Throughout this all I am having steady 2-4 minute apart contractions, every time they would check how dilated I was it would either be going backwards or only a bit forwards making little to no change. The most confusing part is some checks her head was engaged in my pelvis and they were able to poke at her, and then the next check they wouldn’t be able to find her head at all, which once a babies head is engaged.. it’s usually engaged.

The morning of July 6th they inserted Cervidil a hormone to soften your cervix and sometimes bring on contractions, all day Joe and I were able to relax, we went on walks, they had an awesome little cafe downstairs we frequented over our 5 day stay. I was feeling better and it was nice to just be on a little hospital date together. By the evening things had gotten crazy intense, but again when checked at 2am her head was gone and I had made almost negative progress so in the morning when we had an OB in the hospital they were going to safely break my water to get things moving and hopefully keep her engaged. 

We woke up the morning of July 7th to another dreadful check which ended up having great news, I was dilated to 4cm, and her head was yet again engaged so my amazing midwife broke my water right then and there, very quickly things got real, contractions hurt.. Joe would tell me to breath and I would snap back telling him to breath 😂, I always put Joe in charge of telling them when I’m ready for pain meds because he can read when I’m just asking and when I stop tolerating the pain. About an hour into the contractions I was telling Joe to give me an Engagement ring or an Epidural because I couldn’t take it anymore and would only give him one more contraction or else.. who knows but either way the nurse and my midwife were crying they were laughing at all my commentary and in the middle of this miss Ree gave us the scares of our lives and her heart rate droped just under 40 which is low or we couldn’t find it at all. Through very painful contractions they were needing to man handle me into positions to try and find her heart rate, at this point I was only dilated to a 6 and her head was GONE again, which should not be possible. 

The stars aligned ✨ and everyone who was needed for an emergency c-section happened to be at the hospital for completely unrelated appointments or consults (they don’t staff the Operating rooms on weekends) and they all came to my room and tossed Joe scrubs. That was the moment I realized what was happening was when joe walked out of our bathroom in scrubs looking sexy as ever. It’s also one of the moments my mind has kept flashing back to during this recovery. I was rushed down the hallway, accompanied by atleast 7 people. I remember in the elevator asking if she was ok on repeat. We got outside an operating room where they told us Joe couldn’t come in as I had to be put under, there was no time for anything. Our OB doing the surgery came out and reassured Joe saying “ I will have your baby in your arms in 5 minutes I promise”. So at 9:11am she as promised was safely delivered. 

Her umbilical cord was wrapped around one ankle, then separately wrapped around the other and knotted in the middle, she was on a bungee cord in my uterus & there was no way I could of delivered her without a c-section. I was blessed with 2 fast vaginal deliveries and this has been a long road with my busy guys but I am so blessed to have Joe as my rock down this road, he got an hour and a half of skin to skin with her before I was brought up and their bond is clear to everyone already, she’s so smitten with him. 

I have lots to share as far as these last 3 weeks of recovery so I will be writing another post with pictures soon. 

She’s perfect, she’s an amazing breast feeder & always listen to your gut mamas,  I am so glad I am able to announce her safe arrival 💖


I can not rave enough about the nurses, the staff the cleanliness, the gorgeous rooms and most importantly my amazing midwives in Vernon, I’m so glad i had my midwife throughout this rollercoaster.